The information herein is provided by the respective agency and is only as accurate and as up-to-date as the agency representative(s) update this information. PST is not responsible for the veracity of this data as it is provided directly from the agency. It is ultimately the applicant's responsibility to verify any information about the agency with the agency.
Airlift Northwest - Communications Specialist / Dispatcher
Last updated on October 02, 2023
PST Partner Agency since November 22, 2021
Airlift Northwest Communications admin/recruiter will be in contact with you after the completion of the written dispatch test with PST.
Please complete your PHS statement on the PST website to be considered for an initial interview.
The deadline to test for the next hiring cycle is April 28, 2023.
Interviews of candidates will begin in May 2023.
IF you cannot meet the deadline, please continue to apply, as we are constantly looking to hire potential candidates.
AirLift Northwest (ALNW) is the region's premier air medical and critical care transport service. We fly over 3,600 patients yearly from Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho. After a tragic house fire in Sitka, Alaska, that claimed the lives of three children, Dr. Michael Copass, then director of emergency services at Harborview Medical Center and Medic One, founded our region's first air medical transport service in 1982. Since ALNW's inception, we have grown to eight bases strategically located in the Pacific Northwest - Juneau, Alaska; Arlington, Bellingham, Bremerton, Olympia, Yakima, Wenatchee, and Pasco, Washington.
Our professional Communication Specialists quickly dispatch our critical-care emergent flight crews to provide service throughout the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Our state-of-the-art communication center is the centerpiece of our operations, enabling airborne ICUs at a moment's notice 24/7/365. Our professionals are equipped with the latest technology to help save lives when the timing is crucial. We put the lifesaving discoveries of UW Medicine in the air and into action to better safeguard patients' lives. We have invested in one of the industry's most highly trained and skilled staff, and they're continually engaged to strengthen the communities we serve.
ALNW works closely with first responders and hospital staff to transport those in greatest need wherever they need to go to receive definitive care. We're the only air medical transport service bringing UW Medicine's vast medical innovations to the field. Miles from the nearest hospital, we implement the newest protocols and techniques powered by UW Medicine research. We are dedicated to high-level healthcare and outfitting our fleet with leading-edge aviation technology - thus enabling the highest standards of safety and offering lifesaving equipment and healthcare professionals to anyone in need.
We cultivate unparalleled expertise and share it for the higher good. We are the bridge between UW Medicine's trailblazing innovations and those we serve. Our UW Medicine affiliation strengthens our care while, at the same time, maintaining good relationships with all hospitals in our region. We fly wherever first responders and care providers decide the patient's need for the best care possible. Whether off on an Alaskan adventure or hiking in the Cascades, Airlift Northwest is the lifesaving medical transport care ready to help if an illness or accident happens.
ALNW Communication Center is a technological marvel that coordinates regional hospital and scene response flight requests. Our center processes over 90,000 calls annually using advanced technologies, a Computer-Aided Dispatch (CAD) system, and sophisticated integration with Washington’s State communications at the highest levels to dispatch our critical care teams year-round.
Our Communications Center is responsible for receiving, coordinating, and following through to the conclusion of all requests for assistance involving Airlift Northwest by using established protocols and procedures, always keeping in mind the importance of exemplary customer service. We are committed to the highest standards of professionalism and ethical behavior and conduct ourselves with pride in all we do.
ALNW Communication Center is responsible for communicating with clinics, hospitals, patient transfer centers, medical staff, 911 centers, and other members of the EMS community. ALNW Communication Center is unique because we do not take public or civilian 911 emergency calls. Working directly with hospital providers and public service agencies provides a high level of professionalism we expect from our communication specialists.
The Communication Center is currently staffed by Medical Airlift Communication Specialists/dispatchers who report to a communication supervisor. Full-Time positions are working 3-12hr variable shifts with up to 3-4 days off per week. We also have part-time/hourly positions to cover vacation and sick calls. There is no mandatory overtime and flexible leave.
UW Medicine/Airlift Northwest has an outstanding opportunity for an AIR MEDICAL COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST to join the Communications Center Team.
The Medical Airlift Communications Specialist is responsible for receiving flight requests, timely dispatch, and coordinating all Airlift Northwest flight activities according to established protocols and procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Responsible for timely call receiving of both emergent and non-emergent telephone lines into the Airlift Northwest communications center. Calls are received by physicians, nurses, other communications centers, and the public.
• Demonstrate a clear understanding of Airlift Northwest call receiving protocols and appropriately route calls to the transport team, medical director, maintenance, or Airlift Northwest Administrator on Call.
• By established policy and procedures, exercise independent judgment when routing transport requests. Must demonstrate an ability to take multiple calls and set priorities for the flight program.
• Operate multiple radio frequencies to communicate with aircraft to relay medical and operational information. Provide necessary communication assistance in cooperation with other agencies, including ambulances, law enforcement, and fire department, rescue groups. Must operate all department radios under established Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations, Airlift protocols, and procedures.
• Coordinate all aspects of transport for flights. This includes launching flight crew and relaying necessary information, arranging for ground transport at referring and receiving medical facilities when necessary, and in a timely fashion relaying information regarding a patient's medical condition and the estimated time of arrival to both the referring and receiving medical facilities or dispatch centers.
• Ensure that all dispatch records are accurate and complete. Keep correct records of such events as aircraft out-of-service times, bases out-of-service, and master crew list with any changes during the 24 hours.
• Responsible for contacting rotary wing aircraft every 10 minutes during flight to request a position report which will be documented in the dispatch record if an aircraft search needs to be initiated.
• In an in-flight emergency, the Airlift Northwest Post Accident Implementation Plan (PAIP) must be activated immediately. Be the point of contact for various law enforcement, fire department, and rescue teams in case of a lost Airlift Northwest aircraft.
• Demonstrate proficiency with all Airlift Northwest communications center equipment, including computers, computer-aided dispatch software, voice recorders, paging system, and radio. Must be able to implement the Power Outage backup plan in the event of loss of power to the communication center.
• Obtain excellent working knowledge of multiple regional EMS systems. In the event of a regional disaster, continue to operate the Airlift Northwest communications center.
• During non-business hours, be able to assist private citizens or insurance programs with a price quoted and operational information for non-emergent flights.
• Participate in communications center staff meetings and annual emergency procedures drills.
• Actively participate in the change of shift briefings to include: flights during the last 12 hours, flights in progress, weather report, aircraft status report, crew status report, and any unusual events. At the start of each shift, ensure all necessary equipment is operational.
• Participates in mandatory annual training to include: safety, survival, CRM, and OSHA.
• Contribute to building a positive team environment with respect for the views of others. Provide excellent customer service skills in all work interactions.
• Maintain a clean and orderly work area at all times.
• Will uphold all Airlift Northwest policies and procedures related to Compliance, HIPPA, and all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
• Other duties as assigned.
Population: 8.2 million
# of Staff: 14 positions committed to the Communications Center; Approximately 150 in the organization.
Airlift Northwest - Communications Specialist / Dispatcher has 3 vacancies.
We seek to fill Full-Time Employees (FTE), Part-Time, and Per-Diem positions - MEDICAL AIRLIFT COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST.
New hires will be employed as Per-Diem employees and will work 30-40 hours per week for the first six months (Estimated training period). After the training period, their Per-Diem status will be assessed. When an FTE or PT position is available, Per-Diem employees will be given priority consideration. Available FTE and PT positions will undergo an interview and performance assessment for those that apply.
The deadline to test for the next hiring cycle is April 28th, 2023.
Interviews of candidates will begin in May 18th - 19th 2023.
However, if you cannot meet the deadline, please continue to apply, as we are constantly looking to hire potential candidates.
$4,014 to $5,398/month
As an ALNW/UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website by clicking the following link, University of Washington Employee Benefits
Airlift Northwest - Communications Specialist / Dispatcher Requirements
|Category||Requirement||Required at time of...|
The typing test is a critical component of your written test score and you are required to complete the online typing test within 90 days (before or after) your written exam. You will be allowed four (4) attempts at the typing test every seven (7) days and are responsible for selecting the score that you want PST to forward to the agencies you have applied with.
40 WPM / 90% Typing Accuracy
35 WPM; 90% Accuracy
|US Citizen/Lawful Permanent Resident||Legally Eligible to Work in the US|
|High School Grad/ GED||Yes|
|Driver's License Required||Yes|
|Felony Conviction(s) as an Adult||Will be carefully reviewed on a case by case basis.|
|Felony Conviction(s) as a Juvenile||Will be carefully reviewed on a case by case basis|
|Ability to Read & Write the English Language||
Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills to include demonstrated ability to clearly and concisely speak English and understand English.
Ability to see computer monitor, depth perception, color vision.
|Current Hiring Status||
|Multiple Scores from Same Applicant||We consider the highest score received within the past one year|
|Request/Access Scores||On an as-needed basis as vacancies occur|
|Dispatch Typing Test||40 WPM and 90% Accuracy|
Airlift Northwest - Communications Specialist / Dispatcher Disqualifiers
The following are automatic and potential disqualifiers. Applicants should not apply to our agency if they indicate any of the automatic disqualifiers. Potential disqualifiers will be considered on a case by case basis.
Airlift Northwest - Communications Specialist / Dispatcher
Seattle, WA 98108 State of Washington County
Agency Test Requirements
Written Examination: Yes, required
Typing Test: Yes, required
TESTING IN WASHINGTON STATE CANCELED THROUGH MAY 31, 2020
All pre-employment tests in Washington State have been canceled until May 31, 2020 unless government restrictions are eased. With recent updates, facility closures, and government guidelines, this step is necessary and could be modified at any time. The health and safety of our customers, our staff, and their families is of the highest priority.
We will continue to evaluate developments and make changes to this policy as necessary. When we do resume testing, there will be plenty of events for everyone to test. We are in regular communication with our public safety agency partners, assessing alternatives to the traditional testing model and our testing policies. Any future updates will be posted on the PST website and our Facebook page.
If you have tested with PST in the past 12 months, there may be additional positions you are now eligible to add. Several departments have temporarily changed their testing policies due to the suspension in testing that COVID-19 has caused. Please login to your PST account and navigate to the ‘New Positions’ page to see what departments you can add! We will regularly update that page in your account as departments send updates.
FUTURE TEST REGISTRATION
We know that there will be testing in the future - we just don’t know when! We want you to be prepared for when testing begins again so we have created test events on our calendar that you can register for that will place you in a queue to be first notified. These tests are not “real” test events, they are essentially a holding area. You will be able to “reschedule” out of that event to any other event date/location at no cost. Registering now will also give you time to work on your Personal History Statement (PHS) so that your data will be ready and up-to-date to send to your departments once testing resumes.
To sign up for this placeholder event, select the June 15, 2020 test date in your category (police, fire, 911 dispatch, corrections, etc.).
You may also click on the test event of interest below to sign up:
Please check back here frequently and ‘Like’ our Facebook page to stay updated.
PST staff are working remotely and are available by email at email@example.com. We anticipate a high email volume and will respond as quickly as possible.